Something I would like to learn

If I could learn something, I would undoubtedly say that I would like to learn the Limbu language. And it is not without reason. I have a reason so close to my heart why I like to learn this language.

My father is a Limbu. However, he was born in this state after his father moved permanently here. So, he never learned the language though his parents were fluent in it. I believe I am not doing justice to my ancestors if I cannot speak their language. I want to uphold my dignity as a member of this tribe and make my ancestors proud. Hence, I would like to learn the Limbu language.

How to learn this language:

Even if it is hard to study at a place so far away from my ancestors homeland, I will make every effort I can.

1.Stay with people who speaks the language. Sikkim is a great place to do this. 

2.Take a class. Gather a few people or friends and find a tutor to teach the language.

3.Take the help of Internet and social media. Maybe, create an email group to exchange knowledge with others. Facebook groups can also be created.

4.It is great to take audio-visual aids. There are many movies, albums etc. from where I would be able to learn the correct pronunciation of the words.

5.Print materials including dictionaries could help. I have a Limbu-Nepali dictionary, but my Nepali is not very good. So, I’m having a hard time.

Check out Sirjana’s blog.

For me, Limbu is the way I can connect to my faraway origins. I hope that I would be able to learn this great language of my ancestors.