Book review : A Foreign Field

If I should die, think only this of me;

That there’s some corner of a foreign field

That is for ever England…

Rupert Brooke ‘The                               Soldier’

Is it a tragic, ill-fated love story? Or should we call it a tale of a few lives entangled in the Great War? The book, ‘A Foreign Field’ by Ben Macintyre is based on a unique, true story of love and betrayal during the Great War. It is a wonderful story written in a unique style, making the book a journalistic entry of real life facts and incidents and leaving it to the reader to discover the emotional aspects of the story. Based on the Great War of 1914-1919, the beautiful French village of Villeret proves itself a perfect setting for this unfortunate love story.

In August 1914, four young British soldiers found themselves trapped behind enemy lines. With no possibility of escape, they had to be sheltered and protected by the locals of the French village called Villeret. But, the leader of these fugitives, Robert Digby fell in love with his protector’s daughter. They were all hidden away from the German authorities but the conspiracies of wartime finally proved to be the doom of these ill-fated lovers.

Robert Digby can be described as an intelligent, adventurous and carefree young man, who was always independent in his thoughts and actions. But, in the village of Villeret, the War transformed him into a devoted lover, an affectionate father and in the end, a proud and brave English soldier. His lover, Claire Dessenne was a beautiful, brave young woman who did her best in protecting the soldiers.

This book can at once be a beautiful story based on the Great War and a historical account of this tragic war. This entire book covers not only the lives of the lovers but also of the entire village of Villeret. It showcases how people live during the difficult war times, how war fugitives suffer in hiding and how unpredictable events shape the lives of the people. However, this book cannot be said to be an easy, relaxing, pasttime read. This book is mainly factual in nature and requires the reader to know the circumstances and consequences of the war to be able to umderstand the lives and decisions of the ordinary characters of the story.

I would higly recommend this rewarding book to anyone who would love to learn how the Great War of nations affected the lives of the ordinary people. It is just a little story of a tiny village but this story would be eternal because it is a humane one, in the courage of dying soldiers and the betrayal of a desperate somebody.

One Response

1. lauragarberfhhs at |

First, I must say your blog site is impressive! I can see you have been writing for a while now and I am especially impressed with your posts about the social implication of war, including this post. Is this a book you chose or that was assigned?

I am a teacher in Ohio, in the United States, and I’m sure my students would love a visit from such an experienced young blogger! http://swcabloggers.edublogs.org/

Reply