The smallest act of kindness is worth more than the grandest invention. – Oscar Wilde
I wasn’t born in a rich family. And there are so many things I would like to do or have like… Travel abroad, eat at fine restaurants, go to a better institution, have a bigger and nicer house, and so on and on. What are they? They are just… human desires. But… The desire of a man or woman or child who lives in slums, who begs alms for a living, who starves for a day is… HUMAN NEED… Shouldn’t we help them?
Why should we donate to charity?
Charity is the voluntary giving of help, typically in the form of money, to those in need. Money is not the only form of charity but by far, it is the most common.
The first and the most important reason is that people need it i.e, there are many countries and households in the world with a poor economy and they deserve help. A financial assistance will improve their standards of living by satisfying some of their needs.
The giver will also gain the pleasure and satisfaction of performing a good deed.
Giving donations is also a way to help people if you cannot give time to volunteer.
The basics of giving
Donations can be given to the poor, the sick, the disabled and anyone else who can be helped, the orphans or the elderly or the organizations supporting the community. This can be given by anyone and everyone. It doesn’t matter if you are the owner of a conglomerate or a simple working person or even just a student. You can help as long as you know it and wish to help. And, this can be given at anytime the help is needed at anywhere.
Giving is an opportunity. Never hesitate and always help.
How to give ?
1. Use Check book : It is a relatively simple and direct way.
2. Donor-advised fund : You can donate through sponsoring organizations which helps you make a donation for your chosen cause.
3. Private/ family foundation : High net-worth donors can set up private family foundations for charitable activities.
4. Join a giving circle : A group of people can form a giving circle and perform regular donations in an organised way.
5. Give online : Crowd funding, funds for organizations like Charity Water, which provides clean water in developing countries and Kiva, which provides micro-credit loans to small entrepreneurs.
For more information, you may check out the following links.
Thomas Fuller said, “Charity begins at home but should not end there.”
Readers, if you have read till here the last thing I’d like to say is that even if you forget everything else, remember this: Your help is the beginning of change. That help will wipe the tears of a weeping mother, bring smiles to a child and hope to a generation.
Money is evil in many ways but it is a gift in far more ways.
What are some of the global problems that can be solved by charitable giving? How will you help solve them?